Re: [pressgang] The Clothes Thing cont....

Steve Darlington (ldarling@thehub.com.au)
Sun, 26 Jul 1998 14:34:30 +1000

At 01:55 PM 7/26/98 +1000, Lorraine Phillips wrote:
>I know we have all been giving Lynda heaps for her dress sense (or lack
>thereof) but just for a moment consider the outfits that Zoe gets around
>in.....for example - that hideous outfit she is wearing when she comes
>back from the States and turns up at Spike's door (I forget the episode
>title, but it's the one BEFORE Bad News...you know, the one where Colin
>"sponsors" Mr Maringo....)

Another sound point. There are often too many jokes at the expense of
Lynda's supposed lack of fashion sense when really she is not particularly
deficient in this area. She just doesn't put much thought into her
outfits, going with sensible and presentable looking things. When she
wants to, she can really look gorgeous - think about her outfit in The Last
Word! ("This is my shortest skirt") Or at the start of Head and Heart
(notice the way the camera slowly pans up her exquisite legs) Seminal
moments for male PG fans, I can assure you.

It's probably worthy of note that those outfits come later on, when Lynda
is older and more confident with herself, whereas she is still in school
and adolescence back when Sam is laughing at her outfits.

Even back then though, Lynda isn't a dag. Compared to Sam, perhaps, Lynda
lacks flair and confidence with fashion. But she's still more stylish than
Sarah, far less showy than Zoe, and light-years ahead of the
fashion-disaster that is Julie. Shudder.

Cheers,
Steve