Re: [pressgang] Why Julie left (and returned)

Laura Nunn (Laura@salmo.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 19:07:14 +0100

In message <1.5.4.32.19980722162424.0069b1c4@student.murdoch.edu.au>,
Julie Salmon <j.salmon@student.murdoch.edu.au> writes
>After I first watched Press Gang in the early 90's, I was always under the
>immpression that the character of Julie left the Junior Gazzette to go to
>Art school.
>
>When the show was repeated a couple of years ago, I scanned each episode to
>support this, but there's no mention of it. The books don't mention it either.
>
>So I have no idea why I thought this, but it is an interesting reason (at
>least I think) for her character to leave, as she was supposedly a talented
>artist.

I'm sure the books mentioned that Sam was Julie's replacement "in more
ways than one", and said that Julie had left to study at art college. I
always thought she went to art school as well, and it's unlikely that
two of us would have the same incorrect assumption.

I don't remember the TV series making any excuse at all for her absence
though.... and an assistant on "Crazy Stuff", or whatever it was called,
doesn't seem like the sort of thing an art student would be likely to go
on to do.

I guess it was something that the books mentioned that was never
followed through in the TV series. Like the fact that Lynda ran a
school newspaper "Norbridge Days" (rather than "Damn!") before being
made editor of the "Junior Gazette".

I know *way* too much about this programme.

--
Laura