Re: [pressgang] A post from Steven Moffat

Murray Head (muzza@omen.net.au)
Thu, 08 Jan 1998 10:44:04 +0800

Hi gang!

>STEVEN MOFFAT wrote:
>> Boring-not-to-say-anal detail about the set: <<<SNIP>>>
Well, at least it clears up the real room/set question.

>> For Series Five we used the same set but with a modified (even smaller)
>> corridor. (Watch out for Head And Heart - the corridor inexplicably changes
>> colour scheme half way through.)
I'm sure that can be explained - if Lynda was hiring painters for the
corridor, she probably expect it done in the same amount of time she want
stories from her writers ("I want it by yesterday"). She probably had them
whip on a couple of coats of paint between meetings. :)

>> The doors, incidentally, swung whatever way
>> suited for the shot and therefore changed all the time.
I'd actually just logged on to say I thought they swung both ways, even in
The first few series when there was an "IN" door and an "OUT" door - but now
I think about it, if that had always been the case, Lynda wouldn't have been
able to slam the door in "Money, Love and Birdseed" (sending the pigeons
flying (among other things :) )).

>> Spike's Dad: I'm pretty careful about continuity and this one did have me
>> scratching my head a bit - specifically the line about Spike's father
hitting
>> his mother. I proceeded with the new take on the relationship because there
>> was nothing that couldn't be reconciled.
Yes, I agree that they certainly aren't irreconcilable differences (I feel
like I should be talking about divorces, using that term), but it just
seemed odd that if it was a "permanent part" of the PG story, it wouldn't be
mentioned again - which is why I suspected that SM had changed his mind
about that area of Spike's life.

>> Finally: will you guys ever ever ever ever stop kicking my head in about
>> Chalk? Nobody's perfect. Have you never had a bad day at the office??
Do I
>> have to get neurotic and start listing all my awards? (None of which,
>> admittedly, were for Chalk). And anyway, parts of the second series were
>> pretty funny - not that anyone was still watching.
Does anyone know whether tapes are available in Australia? I'm dying to see
it, whether it's good or not.

>> And speaking of awards, congrats to Matt for the site award (pretty
>> impressive
>> considering your site is dedicated to a long defunct children's show)
(But nonetheless a damn good site (and a damn good show :) ).

>> Murray for being such a clever bastard and getting a first.
(Grins) Thanks.

>> Steven Moffat (who only got a second)
Yeah, but my television series is still at a very embryonic stage. ;)

By the way everyone, did you notice that Frazz seemed to change his starsign
from Scorpio (series one) to Libra (series two) - this suggewsts two
possibilities:
1) Frazz didn't really know his starsign in "Page One", when he wrote
himself a horoscope saying he'd become a millionaire and his maths teacher
would die (very likely); or
2) You can get a lot more stuff done by Deedpoll in England than in Australia :)

Murray

* Murray Head - muzza@omen.net.au *
*Also at: muzza@tartarus.uwa.edu.au(Uni of Western Australia) *
* mhead@anhb.uwa.edu.au (Dept of Anatomy and Human Biology) *