Re: [pressgang] Season Four Review

Constance Lever-Tracy (socl.n.ss@psy1.ssn.flinders.edu.au)
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 17:18:05 +0000

>Worst episode: Picking the best wasn't easy. Picking the worst was.
>Day Dreams was a great waste of what could have been a great idea:
>Lynda being forced to re-examine her own life by a look at what the
>future has in store. The only good parts are the ending, where Lynda
>loses Spike, only to be given a second chance in reality, and the scene
>where Lynda eavesdrops on Julie & Tiddler in a future Junior Gazette
>newsroom. Dickens did this a hell of a lot better.

Can we agree to disagree, I liked Day Dreams - However
 It just lacked Kenny - would Lynda dream about the furture of
 all these people with out thinking of Kenny?? -She didn't even like Frazz.
 I know Lee Ross wasn't avaliable - so why not do something else.

But its her dreams - this is what Lynda thinks is going to happen not
what does. Lynda is paranoid enought to think that some one is
standing next to her and saying things like "Never forget who runs
this news room."

>Funniest episode: In the Picture, for the hotel scene between Colin,
>Judy Wellman, and Judy's actor soon-to-be-ex-boyfriend; and the Gazette
>scenes between Lynda and Katherine Hill.

You liked In the Picture ?? It always had me squrming. But them I hate
the kind of comedy Colin was doing - just ducking out the way. I
always fast forward through it.

>Most poignant: Love and War. Except for a very obnoxious Colin plot
>that isn't well
>defined, this could have been the best episode of the season.

> As it
>is, it is a rare look at Spike and Lynda not playing games with each
>other for once,

Are we thinking of the same Love and War ??

Spike : I wish you would stop playing games for once
Lynda: No you don't.

> and their moments of candor are refreshing. This might
>be Dexter Fletcher's best PG performance, and the directing is
>excellent.

Nothing on "Last Word part one and Two" or some of the really early
stuff.

> Honorable mention in category to Un"x"pected, for a
>thoughtful and touching ending and a great performance by Michael
>Jayston.

>Best episode: I think you could make a case for several stories, but I
>narrowed it down to two. Bad News has a lot of fun poking fun at the
>world of PG and of television as a whole, and it is great fun to watch
>Lynda and Spike's tempestuous reunion, and Colin's exploitation of it to
>save the Junior Gazette. This reminded me of the chemistry that
>Bruce Willis and Cybill Shephard had on the old Moonlighting tv series,
>as well as some of the blurring of the lines between tv characters on a
>tv series and the medium itself.

Deffinatly

> As for the runner-up in category,
>She's Got It Taped has what might be the best script and a fabulous
>performance by Kelda Holmes as Sarah. As it lacks much input from the
>supporting cast, it isn't as memorable, but might be just as good.

Your right about this one -
 why did Colin steal the key to the equipment cupboard??? there were
a lot ofsub plots missing from this.

Natacha

>Kevin Nauta
>prydonia@accn.org

--------------17C41033D833169E90634597

Back in August, Renee and Belinda did a nice job summarizing Season Five.  I'm going to take a crack at that myself later, but here's some thoughts on the fourth season from the dubious pen of yours truly.

Worst episode:  Picking the best wasn't easy.  Picking the worst was.  Day Dreams was a great waste of what could have been a great idea:  Lynda being forced to re-examine her own life by a look at what the future has in store.   The only good parts are the ending, where Lynda loses Spike, only to be given a second chance in reality, and the scene where Lynda eavesdrops on Julie & Tiddler in a future Junior Gazette newsroom.  Dickens did this a hell of a lot better.

Funniest episode:  In the Picture, for the hotel scene between Colin, Judy Wellman, and Judy's actor soon-to-be-ex-boyfriend; and the Gazette scenes between Lynda and Katherine Hill.

Most poignant:  Love and War.   Except for a very obnoxious Colin plot that isn't well
defined, this could have been the best episode of the season.   As it is, it is a rare look at Spike and Lynda not playing games with each other for once, and their moments of candor are refreshing.  This might be Dexter Fletcher's best PG performance, and the directing is excellent.    Honorable mention in category to Un"x"pected, for a thoughtful and touching ending and a great performance by Michael Jayston.

Best episode:  I think you could make a case for several stories, but I narrowed it down to two.   Bad News has a lot of fun poking fun at the world of PG and of television as a whole, and it is great fun to watch Lynda and Spike's tempestuous reunion, and Colin's exploitation of it to save the Junior Gazette.    This reminded me of the chemistry that
Bruce Willis and Cybill Shephard had on the old Moonlighting tv series, as well as some of the blurring of the lines between tv characters on a tv series and the medium itself.  As for the runner-up in category, She's Got It Taped has what might be the best script and a fabulous performance by Kelda Holmes as Sarah.  As it lacks much input from the supporting cast, it isn't as memorable, but might be just as good.

Kevin Nauta
prydonia@accn.org
  --------------17C41033D833169E90634597-- -- T H E P R E S S G A N G M A I L I N G L I S T By default, pressing 'reply' will send mail back to the list, not to the author of the message you're replying to. To unsubscribe, mail "unsubscribe" to "pressgang-request@lists.yoyo.org" -- T H E P R E S S G A N G M A I L I N G L I S T By default, pressing 'reply' will send mail back to the list, not to the author of the message you're replying to. To unsubscribe, mail "unsubscribe" to "pressgang-request@lists.yoyo.org"