Re: [pressgang] Kenny and Lynda...totally on topic

Kate Bellgard (bonbell@atrax.net.au)
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 09:14:32 +1000

Okay all I meant when I started this little ball rolling was this:

Firstly: At the time of writing the first few episodes Moffat had not yet
worked out all the past histories of the characters...for instance he may
not yet have realized the way in which Lynda and Sara first met (which we
later see in "Friendly Fire") or that Julie would one day be intelligent.
After all, he is a writer and they do make things up as they go along,
admittedly strong characterization is a key element in the show and the way
they evolved was nearly always in keeping with their characters--but even
for a writer creating characters there is a sort of 'getting to know you
period' .

Secondly: In the light of this I think its at least reasonable to suggest
that in the first few, (and only the first few) episodes that Moffat hadn't
realized the dimensions of the long-standing Kenny-Lynda
friendship...certainly its not something we hear much about until "How to
Make A Killing" with the revelations of the egg and spoon race etc. If we
view these episodes in isolation then it seems plausible that maybe he
hadn't worked out how to handle the relationship and was playing around
with the idea of a Kenny-Lynda-Spike triangle. Something that thankfully
was soon abandoned.

Yes when you look at the show as a whole this seems unlikely and dare I say
distasteful but watch those first few episodes as if they are a single
entity and it is possible.