Re: [pressgang] PG in the US.

Kryten 2X4B 523P (ryouga@iinet.net.au)
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 09:31:22 +0800

Hi Ann

>The other thing is, does anyone know if the type of video tapes used in the
>US are the same type as in Australia? I know ours are different from either
>the UK or the US or both, but I can't remember the details.

The US and Japan use NTSC which is a different system to PAL which the rest
of the world uses. The reason why there are two different types is due to
the fact the back when power plants were first being built, the US, being
the elitist bunch that they are, decided that would have to have a
different frequency to what was used in Europe. US is 50 cycles per second
where Europe was 60 cycles per second.

This works fine, there were no problems with the whole system, until
television was invented. The scan rate if a television works at the same
frequency as the power that supplies the TV.
So a PAL television has 30 frames per second and NTSC has 25 frames per
second, also NTSC is a fraction wider and shorter than PAL. For some bizzar
reason even though the difference between the structure of NTSC and PAL is
minimal, when video was invented the speeds of the tapes is very different,
don't ask me why.

Most modern video players can handle both NTSC and PAL tapes.

Regards

+- Kryten 2X4B 523P -- ryouga@iinet.net.au -+
| Why have one, when you can have two at |
| twice the cost. S.R.Hadden |
+-------- www.iinet.net.au/~ryouga ---------+